Saturday, March 3, 2007

Some versions of...beads that I like, I guess.

While not engaged, or especially interested, in making beaded jewelry myself, I really like online window shopping for beads. There is, admittedly, very little I won't online window shop. Like an ill-fated crow, I am often distracted by bright, shiny things.

Brown-veined sea green gaspetite turquoise--I love the smoothness of the beads, and the color is fantastic. Personally, I'm not sure that I would wear jewelry made out of these beads, unless they were about half the size, but I wouldn't mind having one on my desk. To look at for zen moments or some shit.

Gray blue sponge coral rondelles
--These I would definitely wear--I love everything about them: color, shape, irregularity, porousness. They look like especially nice chunks of concrete. They're utterly fascinating. I keep revising what I say about them and failing to note it adequately. It is a lucky thing that I never fancied myself a poet.

Flat turquoise briolettes--Lilyriver has been doing a lot with briolettes lately, and I've really liked the pieces she's made. What's striking to me about these beads is how the briolette shape gets streamlined and abstracted in the flattening. These are postmodern beads, man. Deep.

Bonus Ripley's Believe It or Not!: Pink coral nuggets--These look like diseased gum tissue. Gross. Gross. Gross.

No comments: