Friday, March 16, 2007

Based on a true story.

Lilyriver and I have temporarily left the world of crafting for the world of pastoral poetry. We hate pastoral poetry. Well, I hate pastoral poetry, partly because it's all about sheep, and sheep equal wool, and wool equals yarn, and yarn equals things I'd rather be doing than reading pastoral poetry.

Check out that smooth transition.

Whilst at the MoMA, I decided that the colorways I'd like to pursue for my planned yarn dyeing adventures will be based on art pieces. See, for example, the Andreas Gursky photograph at right. My plan is that the hank (I'm envisioning it to be about 220 yards, or enough for one sock) would be dyed a chalky gray. The top maybe 25 yards would be handpainted at regular intervals with flecks of red, to represent the red balls on the powerlines, and that halfway through the hank or so, I'd have a few bits of bold color like the corporate logo signs; the bottom fifty yards or so would be a darker gray. This is all obviously very literal, and I think it would be interesting to experiment with how far the concept can be taken. We saw about half a dozen Seurats chock full of the tiny pointillist dots, and it's just insane how many different colors go into creating the effect of even one square inch of a painting (Lilyriver and I felt extremely sorry that Seurat did not live to see pixellation; he'd have peed his pants). That'd be really fun to reproduce on yarn (this, I realize, is the principle of variegated yarn, but, um, art's all about context, right?).

No comments: